Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Fight! Fight!

Can you hear the playground chants? They are echoing through the Catholic blogosphere halls now. Fr. Tom Euteneuer, president of Human Life International – a trusted, tried, and true priest - has denounced the NCRegister for its quasi-pro-Obama editorial. You might remember if you have a REALLY good memory that I posted a measly little blurb here too.

I read last night via Pewsitter.com this statement from the NCRegister wondering who and what they had to respond to. Now we know…

P.S. (added at a reader’s request on Dec. 1): Please do explore the rest of this site, especially the Hot Topics links at the bottom of the home page. We are 100% pro-life and pro-marriage, and we spent the months before the election educating readers about Obama’s pro-abortion positions. My only point in this post, nearly a month ago, was that many pro-life voters voted for Obama and are excited by him. Those are our voters, and we should win them back. We can’t win them back if we are polarized by rage. Our job now is to watch the Obama administration and relentlessly oppose what we must, and in the meanwhile shore up the pro-life and pro-family majorities in America.

Here is the editorial proof of our pro-life position on the election, for the unconvinced (click on the “abortion” or “obama” tags in red below to see post-election Daily Blog coverage):

Catholics and Obama

Obama vs. the Right to Life

We’re Waiting, Barack

Obama’s Abortion Extremism” by Princeton’s Robert George.

I believe the following lines are what caused this dust up: (From the original post)

We at the Register were very focused on the life issue, and will remain so. But we always knew John McCain was no pro-life hero (he supports using taxpayer money to fund fatal experiments on embryos) and though we disagree on much, I, for one, always liked Obama.

He is a civil, decent man. His historic election is exciting in that it hails, we hope, the end of an era when race was factored into decisions it had nothing to do with.

Now I read this from the American Papist blog:

Fr. Tom Euteneuer, president of Human Life International, has gone so far as to claim that the Legionariest of Christ are "now officially part of the problem, not part of the solution" and have "lost it on this one" because of a supposedly "pro-Obama" editorial penned by National Catholic Register editor Tom Hoopes, a layman employed by the Legionaries. Fr. Euteneuer even goes so far as to claim that the Register editorial at issue reminded him of a National Catholic Reporter editorial, and as a result he has cancelled his subscription and urged others to do this same. Now these are very serious accusations and actions taken. And I think they are misguided.

Personally, I think the editorial is poor, and I ndicated as such after I read it. To say you’ve always liked Obama and not clarify that statement is simply imprudent and I cannot fathom that a professional editor would not have seen black lash coming. But apparently that is what happened.

But is the NCRegister a faithful Catholic newspaper? From what I saw during my trial subscription it is and a few lines in one editorial shouldn’t sway people from keeping theirs going.

1 comment:

Moonshadow said...

I read the opening of this post several times to be sure it say "Register" and not "Reporter;" the latter would have been very understandable.

I missed your post a month ago on this and read the editorial for the first time just now. (Yes, I live under a rock.)

There's little pro-Obama about it, imo. Just encouragement to respect those with political power. I happen to agree that I never found McCain persuasively more pro-life than Obama. The two men seemed about equal on that score but considering what McCain had been though, his attitude struck me as ... well, bewildering.

I was thinking of subscribing to the Reporter again (yes, you read that right) but, for any newspaper or journal, so much is available online, more than I have time to read.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton