Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Comparative 1 Timothy 3:15

Interesting, no?

ESV:

if I delay, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, a pillar and buttress of the truth.


New World Translation: (JWs)

but in case I am delayed, that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in God’s household, which is the congregation of [the] living God, a pillar and support of the truth.



But everyone else...

NIV:

if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.

NAB:

But if I should be delayed, you should know how to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth.

The Message:

I hope to visit you soon, but just in case I'm delayed, I'm writing this letter so you'll know how things ought to go in God's household, this God-alive church, bastion of truth. [Whatever.]

NKJV:

but if I am delayed, I write so that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

KJV:

But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Douay-Rheims:

But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Clemetine Vulgate:

si autem tardávero, ut scias quómodo opórteat te in domo Dei conversári, quæ est ecclésia Dei vivi, colúmna et firmaméntum veritátis.

New Vulgate:

15 si autem tardávero, ut scias quómodo opórteat in domo Dei conversári, quae est ecclésia Dei vivi, colúmna et firmaméntum veritátis.





1 comment:

Moonshadow said...

The NJB is probably the most literal, omitting the article altogether:

"in the Church of the living God, pillar and support of the truth."

Yet, "truth" carries an article.

And the JB is interesting:

"in the Church of the living God, which upholds the truth and keeps it safe."

Yes it does. :-) "Bastion" and all that. :-)

I'm still trying to work through your previous post. I like that sort of thing but understanding it can be painstaking work.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton