Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Prayers for Haiti

This morning the irony of the Psalm given for the Office of Readings was not lost on me. Pray for the victims who lost their lives and those who are now suffering from the tragedy.

(Office of Readings Excerpt)


Ant. 1 I love you, Lord; you are my strength.

I
Psalm 18:2-30

At that time there was a violent earthquake (Revelation 11:15)

2 I WILL love thee, O Lord, my strength:
3 The Lord is my firmament, my refuge, and my deliverer. My God is my helper, and in him will I put my trust. My protector and the horn of my salvation, and my support.
4 Praising I will call upon the Lord: and I shall be saved from my enemies.
5 The sorrows of death surrounded me: and the torrents of iniquity troubled me.
6 The sorrows of hell encompassed me: and the snares of death prevented me.
7 In my affliction I called upon the Lord, and I cried to my God: And he heard my voice from his holy temple: and my cry before him came into his ears.

Ant 1. I love you, Lord; you are my strength.

Ant 2. The Lord has saved me; he wanted me for his own.

8 The earth shook and trembled: the foundations of the mountains were troubled and were moved, because he was angry with them.
9 There went up a smoke in his wrath: and a fire flamed from his face: coals were kindled by it. 10 He bowed the heavens, and came down: and darkness was under his feet.
11 And he ascended upon the cherubim, and he flew; he flew upon the wings of the winds.
12 And he made darkness his covert, his pavilion round about him: dark waters in the clouds of the air.
13 At the brightness that was before him the clouds passed, hail and coals of fire.
14 And the Lord thundered from heaven, and the highest gave his voice: hail and coals of fire.
15 And he sent forth his arrows, and he scattered them: he multiplied lightnings, and troubled them.
16 Then the fountains of waters appeared, and the foundations of the world were discovered: At thy rebuke, O Lord, at the blast of the spirit of thy wrath.
17 He sent from on high, and took me: and received me out of many waters.
18 He delivered me from my strongest enemies, and from them that hated me: for they were too strong for me.
19 They prevented me in the day of my affliction: and the Lord became my protector.
20 And he brought me forth into a large place: he saved me, because he was well pleased with me.

Ant 2. The Lord has saved me; he wanted me for his own.

Ant 3. Lord, kindle a light for my guidance and scatter my darkness.

21 And the Lord will reward me according to my justice; and will repay me according to the cleanness of my hands:
22 Because I have kept the ways of the Lord; and have not done wickedly against my God.
23 For all his judgments are in my sight: and his justices I have not put away from me.
24 And I shall be spotless with him: and shall keep myself from my iniquity.
25 And the Lord will reward me according to my justice; and according to the cleanness of my hands before his eyes.
26 With the holy, thou wilt be holy; and with the innocent man thou wilt be innocent.
27 And with the elect thou wilt be elect: and with the perverse thou wilt be perverted.
28 For thou wilt save the humble people; but wilt bring down the eyes of the proud.
29 For thou lightest my lamp, O Lord: O my God enlighten my darkness.
30 For by thee I shall be delivered from temptation; and through my God I shall go over a wall.

Ant 3. Lord, kindle a light for my guidance and scatter my darkness.
All wondered at the words of grace.
- Which came from the mouth of the Lord.

Indeed. Somehow, our Lord (who knew this would happen) also made it so that the Church would say this prayer today and many would remember the Haitians who are now suffering. God is very merciful but he also just. When horrible things like this happen it affects not only the wicked but also the good. Tragedy helps us turn to God when we otherwise might not. It is a wake up call to get our own souls ready to meet our Lord.

3 comments:

Moonshadow said...

God wasn't the only One: they (WSJ) are reporting such an earthquake was predicted in '08.

CNN reported a mountain split apart.

Tomorrow morning I meet with ladies who lean dispensational ... I expect their excitement level to be running high as these are all signs of the Parousia.

LORD, keep me from laughing at them.

Matt said...

Well silence may be best, if you can't effectively correct them. I on the other hand would be tempted to mock rather than laugh... By saying:

"I know! I saw that on Jack van Impe last week!" after everything they say.

Moonshadow said...

Oh, dear, you have a sense of humor. I suppose I should rather be outraged that someone else's misery would be cause for excitement.

I turned on the TV (I never watch TV) and was happy to see someone from CRS on CNN saying, "We've been in Haiti for 50 years." Haiti's historic poverty is, ironically, the only thing going for them.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton