Thursday, March 25, 2010

Annunciation thoughts.

Today we commemorate Mary’s “Yes” to the archangel Gabriel.  This is in way the event from which the fountain of the New Covenant flows - the living waters if you will.

 

It is one of my favorite feasts and the Annunciation is also my favorite Rosary mystery.   It is, however, very under celebrated.  Perhaps that is because its almost always during Lent.   The rubrics in the breviary indicate that the feast can be celebrated in Paschal Season, but a quick look on the calendar over the past 40 years indicates that is a very rare occurrence.

 

I like to this of today as the beginning of Advent.  How so?  Well as next week we will be commemorating the Passion and Resurrection, somewhere in the background Mary also has Christ in her womb throughout the year.  The cycle continues and repeats itself and overlaps.   Just a thought.  I want to expand on this more but I’m out of time. 

 

Heading out to Mass in a little bit.  Have a great Feast Day!

 

1 comment:

kbpipes said...

I'm with you. This for me is a very special feast. Like you I am surprised with the lack of celebration. I was at my bible study last night. We are in Luke. When the Annunciation came us I was the only one who connected that we were reading this on the Feast of the Annunciation.

Be blessed brother I am so glad I found your blog.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton