Thursday, July 15, 2010

Rebound: Modern Notation Liber Usualis

Folks who've been around the blog for a while will remember my Liber Usualis rebind. It was and remains a fantastic job done by McSpadden Bookbindery. I have had several books rebound by them since but this one crushes them all. The work they did on this Liber, which was in absolute tatters, is outstanding. It was literally falling apart and the cover was half off. By that I mean only the front and spine remained. Pages were loose etc.

A month or so ago a fellow schola member gave me this Liber to have rebound (for another, former schola member who retired).

Unlike mine, this one is not smooth grained. The calfskin has some texture to it. (You can click on the pictures to make them larger.) For time's sake today I am not going to be able to give you the tour of the whole book like I normally would. But I think you can get the idea just from the pictures.

Enjoy!


From Modern Liber


From Modern Liber


From Modern Liber


From Modern Liber


From Modern Liber


From Modern Liber

5 comments:

Ben said...

Nice! Details: What kind of leather is that? And the biggie: how much did the rebind job cost? My own ancient Liber could use the treatment.

Matt said...

Hi Ben,

T cost $89 even, and it was done in a flexible Calfskin Leather.

F.G.S.A said...

Hello Matt,

Do you know of the Solesme Antiphonary(or is it Antiphonal?)-all latin- of 1934? It contains the Ordinary, Propers and Sanctoral of the Office, except Matins, in addition with the square notations. It is like a diurnal? I've taken to pray with it. I've found it in a priest's library, coverless, ribbonless-am sending it to the local binder.

Matt said...

FGSA - I'm aware of it and actually bid on eBay for one but I didn't win (even with sniping). We have one in our choir loft on the shelf.

It is essentially a "noted diurnal". But keep in mind that traditional monasteries use a newer version of the Benedictine Office which conforms to the 1962 calendar. So if you take a look at it, you will see feasts labeled "double", "semi-double", etc. In the newer version these will be First, Second, Third Classes, Memorials, and Commemorations.

I do not know if they republished the Antiphonale for the 1962 liturgy. I assume they didn't.

When you get it back from the bindery send in some photos and maybe I'll put them up for everyone to see!

F.G.S.A said...

It follows the reforms of Pius x then? My favourite feature is that we have Ps.50 everyday on prime.

The copy is somewhat, not too seriously, maimed, missing prefatory matter and part of the Kalendar, and of the tables of content at the back. In spite of all this it has become dear to me. But i'm getting sentimental.

Well,as for sending you photos, i would gladly do it, except that leather binding costs a real fortune in my island, and i requested a simple hardcover 'college' binding...it would be a real boor to your genteel breviaries.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton