Monday, November 22, 2010

Pius XII Psalter - Draw Your Own Conclusions

I found this again on the internet and I think it is well worth looking at here. The changes that occurred after Vatican II required preparation. Regardless of the reality, there were Modernists who actively were trying to break with the past. They wanted things to change in the Church. Now take a look at this advertisement from 1943. It is for the new Pius XII Psalter. I am not saying Pius XII was a modernist. But like our current Holy Father, everything the Pope does is subject to being used for someone or other's own pet project.

I have highlighted the important text. Pretty interesting. We now of course know the "fate" this new psalter. It was abandoned pretty quick as these things go. The neo-Vulgate is more aligned with St. Jerome's version which most traditional priests use.

2 comments:

jagribbin said...

An interesting post. I think it is important to remember that the psalter of Pope Pius XII was not made obligatory : this shows that holy pope's prudence and respect for liturgical tradition. So those bound to the divine office could retain the vulgate. Nevertheless, as far as I see, most breviaries produced from the late 1940s onwards, tended to have the Pius XII psalter. Your own volume of the Desclee breviary actually has the Pian psalter, judging from your photographs.I have used the Pian psalter in the past, but for twenty years now I have used the vulgate. Happily this has been reproduced in recent editions of the 1961 Breviarium Romanum. Some individuals still prefer to use the psalter of Pius XII, and, indeed, they are free to do so - it is a good translation - though it is certainly not suitable for singing.

voltape said...

Well, I am a 77-year old married layman. I have been praying the office for 50 years at least. My first encounter with the psalter was the Versio Piana. Only after years of using it I found out there existed the venerable Gallican. In 1972 I was subcantor at the Cathedral of Lima, Peru and I chanted the office with the Canons, always the Piana. When I run into Gallican I was disilusioned. I found it insipid, clumsy, unintelligible. Except for maybe Miserere or Ps. 90 with its demonio meridiano, I cannot use other psalter. Some years ago I turned to the Liturgy of the Hours, but the Nova Vulgata seemed to me the Gallican patched here and there with Piana. So much so that I have typed the LofthH arranging it with the Piana Psalters and that is what I am praying now.I am sorry but for me, tradition is Piana. I can certainly sing it. We used at the Seminarium and at the Cathedral the Liber Usuales by the Solesmes Monks and it uses Piana all the time, which is perfectly singable. God bless.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton