Tuesday, November 23, 2010

To Brine or Not to Brine?

I have taken to brining my turkey the past couple of years. The flavor is excellent but it is a royal pain to do. The "turkey bag" does a decent job though and it is much easier...

Should I brine or not? Anyone else have any experiences with making it easier?

I put up a poll on the right. It ends tomorrow since I have to make the call quickly.

Update:

The Turkey shall be brined! Salt, Brown Sugar, AllSpice Berries, Black Peppercorns, Candied Ginger, Vegetable and Turkey Stock are be my ingredients!

It makes the house smell awesome btw.

4 comments:

Moonshadow said...

We've brined the last five or so years and enjoy the texture and flavor.

Lately, however, cooking magazines have argued against brining because the pan gravy is too salty. I can see that being true but I just don't add any salt.

We just put the turkey in a large stock pot and fill with cold water and kosher salt. Then dry it out on a tray. All in the fridge, of course. The weather won't be cold enough for any outdoor storage, unfortunately.

Patrick said...

we've brined the past two years. I think we use a citrus brine (there's a recipe on allrecipes.com if you want to check). Very interested in this "7 lies" book, thanks for letting me know about it.

Audrey S. J. said...

Matt, that sounds yummy...is it like a salt marinade? lol

Matt said...

laf. something like that.

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton