Wednesday, August 18, 2010

On the Importance of the Divine Office

The following quote was recently posted on a forum I belong to and it struck me as quite profound. Devotion to the Office is not well promoted, or rather it is not very much promoted, and that is a shame.

In my diocese I know of precisely zero parishes with regular Vespers services and I know of zero lay groups devoted to its recitation.


"After the sacrifice of the Mass, the Church possesses no treasure so great as the Divine Office." "It is God's Church, the Spouse of Christ, who has done me the honour of choosing me for this great work - me, in preference to a hundred others. She puts into my hand her holy book of heavenly language, and asked me to read it words before God, to unity with the angels and saints in honouring God."

St. Alphonsus Liguori

No comments:

"The whole truth is generally the ally of virtue; a half-truth is always the ally of some vice." - G.K. Chesterton